We are excited to once again be named in the Forbes Cloud 100, the annual ranking of the world’s top private cloud companies, alongside other prominent companies like Stripe, Canva, Calendy, TripActions, and others. This year marks the second consecutive year that Own has placed on the Cloud 100 list.
With more than 4,700 customers, Own is a leading SaaS data protection platform for some of the largest SaaS providers in the world. Our mission is to ensure that no company operating in the cloud ever loses data.
Before we look at the initiatives that led us to be included in this year’s Cloud 100, let's take a closer look at the ranking itself.
What's the Cloud 100?
The Cloud 100—which is published by Forbes, in partnership with Bessemer Venture Partners and Salesforce Ventures—is the definitive ranking of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world.
Now in its seventh year, The Cloud 100 evaluates cloud startups and other private companies based on four factors: market leadership (35%), estimated valuation (30%), operating metrics (20%), and people & culture (15%). It considers quantitative data like valuation, revenue, and growth rate, alongside qualitative data like market leadership insights from CEOs at similar companies.
According to Alex Konrad, senior editor at Forbes, the companies on the Cloud 100 list represent the best and brightest private companies in this fast-growing sector. He adds that every year, it gets more difficult to make this list — giving those on the list even more elite status.
Why is Own in this year's Cloud 100?
Now more than ever, a company's data is the lifeblood of its business. There are few companies that protect that precious asset as well as Own. Since placing on the Cloud 100 last year for the first time, we have continued to grow and deliver even more impressive results and achievements:
- In August 2021, we announced a Series E investment of $240M, bringing our total investment to date to over $500M and our value to $3.35B.
- Own grew by over 100% YoY in 2021, something we have accomplished each year since our founding.
- We invested in our greatest asset, our people, and doubled the size of our team in 2021.
- Now that we’ve solidified our market-leading position in Salesforce with over 5,000 customers across multiple industries, we expanded into Microsoft Dynamics 365 in October 2021 and ServiceNow in July 2022.
- We are evolving our SaaS data protection platform and introducing new data security capabilities, through our acquisition of RevCult. Our accelerated investments in data security led to Own adding several new security customers in the past year and launching a new product, Own Secure, in April 2021.